Thursday, January 6, 2011

Popeye Spinach Casserole

How many of you have kids who HATE eating spinach? Well I have a recipe you should try. I freely admit I'm not the best at eating my vegetables. Ick. In fact, the hubbie tells me I would eat like a 13 year old kid if I could - junk, junk, junk - and he's right. Alas, he keeps a tight reign on me and my body likes to hold on to too many of those calories to make it worth it. The following recipe I grew up on and it doesn't taste like spinach. In fact, I loved it so much that I almost always requested it on my birthday. When we were kids we always called it Popeye Casserole because it made it sound more fun (but we also died our mashed potatoes because it made them more fun to eat...hmmm so my family is a little quirky but we have fun!) You can half it easily and it also freezes well. 


Popeye Casserole (AKA Spinach Casserole)

4 boxes of chopped, frozen spinach
1 pint sour cream
juice of 2 lemons
2 Tbs garlic salt

Boil the spinach for 10-15 minutes. Drain very well (I use paper towels to help get as much juice out as possible). Mix spinach, sour cream, garlic salt and lemon juice. Place in casserole dish and top with bread crumbs (optional). Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment