Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My favorite soup - Taco

 Many years ago my mom told me about a recipe she tried called Taco Soup. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. Mexican is my favorite food. I could eat it every day if I was able but tacos were meant to be eaten by hand in a soft shell or a crisp, crunchy shell, not in a soup. I should have known better. What's the old adage? "Mom knows best"? After making it, not only was it super easy, but it quickly became my all-time favorite soup. So much so that I was banned from making it by the hubbie for a while (perhaps having it at least once a week may have been a bit overkill). In this version, you serve it over Tostito chips and chunks of cheese. The chips give it a slight crunch while the chunks of cheese soften and melt into the soup. Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!


Taco Soup

1 can black beans (preferably no salt added)
1 jar salsa (mild or medium)
1 can mexicorn or fiesta corn
1 box no salt added or low sodium chicken broth
sharp cheddar or mexican cheese, cubed (I use the bagged, cubed mexican cheese)
sour cream
Tostito chips

Pour the first 4 ingredients into a small pot. Bring to boil and let simmer 10-15 minutes. Put a handful of chips and cheese in the bottom of individual serving bowls. Pour a serving of soup over chips and cheese. Top with spoonful of sour cream and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment