Thursday, December 12, 2013

Going once, going twice, sold to #9!

Several of you have asked what I bought at the auction not long ago, the one I mentioned here. I have been meaning to post about it for over a week and kept getting distracted so here it is! And this should not be confused with the estate sales we also attend, which is at a house with pre-set prices. Oh and I fund these little excursions with my "kitty", which was recently refilled by selling two diaper bags on EBay.

Once again this auction proved to be a blast. I even went into it with a little skepticism because let's be honest, I didn't really "need" anything. But I found some things. I know this shocks many of you, including my mother. I can't help it mom. It's like a shopping zombie takes over my body.

Anna M joined me once again. She literally dragged herself out since she just had minor surgery on the Wednesday prior. (hope she doesn't mind I just aired her health info to the world). She was fearful of FOMO (fear of missing out) and of getting JOYS (jealous of your stuff). We also had a newbie, Tonia G, who is a veteran to auctions but hadn't been to one in a while. I really think she came for the entertainment. Anna squared is quite the act at times, especially at an auction.



We did come a little more prepared this time and brought the truck...or so we thought. I forgot to clean out the bed so it also had the stroller and hitch rack in it. Oops. Not so smart.


So off we went to register. I'll give you an idea of how this auction works (and most auctions for that matter). First, you register and get a number. I was #9 and Anna M was #10 (Tonia was there solely for entertainment).


In most auctions the "block" or what they will auction off is pre-set and settled. In this auction it's a little more open because they know they won't auction off everything; there's just too much. This is what it looked like inside:



At one point they needed more items on the block so I took it upon myself to help bring a few things forward. OK. I may have wanted to bid on them too. I'm blurry because it's an action shot.


This time there were tons of chairs and furniture, which was fun to dream of how we'd fix them up if we owned the warehouse and had all the time in the world and a little cash. Heck we could even do without the cash!


As you may  have now gathered, the majority of the fun for us is actually going through all the stuff and imagining what it could be. See that little chair dead center in the last picture? That went home with me for $5 to go beside my bed so I have a spot to put my pajamas, clothes, etc. You know for when you just want to toss something down for the next day or have quick access. Still don't see it? It's the red arrow. The white arrow is Tonia G.


The chair is not in great condition but it's sturdy. The fabric is old and it was covered in dust. I plan on putting a dark coat of wax over it to help recondition it and recover it after the first of the year. I was loving the blue chairs behind it but they were too big.
 
Speaking of chairs, I'd like to say we could sit still at these but we have to stand. It's too exciting. The juices start to flow - and by juices I mean endorphins - and I can barely even stand still much less sit still. At this point Tonia G is pretty much laughing non-stop. Especially when Chris, the auctioneer says "which one do you want, Anna". Yep he knows our names now.
 
 
 
Let's look at a few things I liked but didn't get. This was a pretty plant stand that looked like it was bamboo but it was actually metal. Imagine it painted and it would be so pretty in a sun room, porch or outside area. It would even be cute in a kitchen as a baker's rack.
 

This lamp, is not really attractive green but imagine if you painted it a red or blue or any color for that matter. Super cute.


I really wanted this Asian style armoire. Had no place to put it but I think it's so cute. I'd paint it another color since lime green doesn't necessarily go with my decor. And those wicker things you see on top and beside it are bird cages. The ship one was super cool.



So now on to the things we scored...Anna M got a cute set of chairs (6 to be exact) for $25! She's already recovered them in matching fabric for her kitchen table.


Look at how much better they look compared to the ones she had in there. Not to mention she only had 4 for a family of 5. Now I'm no math person but that doesn't add up. Now they are one big happy, matching chair-sitting family at dinner. Ahhhh. So sweet.


I also got a table and chair set (4) for a whopping $35 and they were like new. I bought them to donate to a family who needed them. $35 people. Like new.


Anna M scored 5 steeplechase prints that totally fit her house. I think she only paid $5 or $10 for the set.




I also scored two prints for $5 or $7 (I can't remember now) that I plan on putting up in the dining room or hallway. I love all things old Europe and so these crest pictures make me smile.




We both also got brass candle holders. Technically Anna M bought this...as soon as they said "sold to bidder #...9!" She realized that she was using my number. Good thing because I wanted it too!


I think the next purchase was a little FOMO kicking in but its cute and I'm sure I can find out where to use it. It was only $2 so no huge expense. And this brings up a good point. Sometimes we bid on things to help get it started. FOMO is contagious. If we think it's cute enough to bid on then others often realize it too.


I also got some cute frames. Well actually both of us bought 3 each but then Anna M realized she didn't need them so she gave them to me and I gave her my big iron angels (not pictured) to use.


The frames are brand new...priced at $5 each and we bought 6 for $10. They are a great little size to fill a small space on a table.

Perhaps one of my favorite things that I bought was a pair of lamps. I needed bigger lamps for my bedside table according to C and Anna M so when I found these in the back, I put them on the auction block. They are composite but look like hammered bronze. I still need to find some lamp shades so I'll show you those once I've found them.


There were other small odds and ends like the nutcrackers that we bought (for $3-5 total). Tonia G did score two bikes, which we put in the back of my truck...the one that had no room. Then we forced ourselves to leave.



 And it was pouring down rain...check out how drenched I am. Anna M thought it was funny that my glasses were covered in water drops.


Here's a picture of Tonia G and I trying to get the bikes home in the rain. Anna M was in the truck "looking pretty". OK fine, she also wasn't allowed to do any lifting. 


Remember when I said we were prepared by bringing the truck? Well thank goodness Tonia G showed up with her van so she could take Anna M's chairs. We left my table and chairs behind because we were out of room. No not permanently silly. I went and got them on Sunday.

I mean we even stored things in the car seats. We got everything home though! Where there's a will there IS a way, my friend. And when I say rain. Picture cold and constant.


We were a little packed in. Maybe we need to rent a Uhaul next time? No. Probably not. That might tip the scales against us with the spouses.

Tomorrow we are hitting this and this estate sale, this time with Jenna B in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment