Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Womp, womp...bad wreath purchase

In the spirit of giving you the good, bad and ugly, I figured I'd share my bad wreath purchase, which goes in the category of bad and ugly. It was a womp, womp, womp. You may recall from this post that I had purchased a new summer wreath for the front door. I was a littled annoyed to learn that it would take 3 or more weeks to get here but nevertheless, excited to get a summer wreath up on the front door.

Well ladies and gentlemen...it arrived and was a big thumbs down. It was desribed as being "colorful, texturally rich wreath makes a beautiful welcome! It's handmade on a twig base with lavender and white larkspur, sorghum, green caspia, bear grass, white and blue silk daisy, lavender sinuate. Handmade to last for years."

Here it is as advertised

My flowers in the front of the house are all purples and hot pinks this year so it should have matched nicely. Well first, 16" isn't actually all that big when it comes to a wreath. Or at least their version of 16" isn't that big. I don't count the straw outlyers that aren't really shown well in the picture. Those, in my humble opinion, are just supposed to be added texture, not part of the width of the wreath. Anyhoozle, when they say handmade...they meant it. I could actually see glue gun reminants on the FAKE flowers that were glued in. Need I remind you how I feel about fake flowers? And if I'm splurging $40 on a wreath to "last for years" should it look like I could have made it myself? I think not.

So it was a big flop. I may try this technique from my friend Melissa's blog next since I can't seem to find a wreath that I like. Will let you know how it turns out if/when I try it.

If you see a good classy summer wreath anywhere, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I love a wreath or any form with moss covering it.(my favorite is lichen. The color and texture are great for summer)Its pretty easy and a walk in the woods could supply you with the natural materials.

    ReplyDelete