Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fun summer salad - mediterranean style

Ok so since I've been pregnant for oh...14 months now I can't really say that I've been in to cooking so much, especially in the beginning trimesters. But, starting around the middle of the second trimester I start nesting which includes cooking and baking. Makes the Hubby so happy. Not long ago I made a Pea Pesto Pasta Salad (recipe to follow in another post) which he thought was delicious but he also requested a pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes. Off to the internet I went...here's what I made and what has now been deemed the Hubby's favorite (and he's not a fan of pasta salads so that's saying something). 


Mediterranean Pasta Salad
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil 
3/4 balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs drained capers
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1lb whole wheat pasta, cooked al dente
12 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered (I used grape tomatoes)
8 oz feta cheese, cubed
1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup minced pitted black olives (oil or water cured)
1 jar artichokes, drained


Blend first five ingredients in a blender or food processor briefly, just enough to chop everything together. Add this dressing to the drained HOT pasta in a large bowl. Toss to coat well then let cool, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients (and salt and pepper to taste if desired). Cover and chill. 


For more sustenance, add shrimp or chicken. I recommend greek chicken (coat chicken with olive oil then add greek seasoning and grill, cut in to bite size pieces. Also good on garden salads!). I think it might even be good with kielbasa in it. Make it whatever you want! 


This will definitely be a summer favorite in the Schrall House! Let me know if you try it and what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment