Monday, June 6, 2011

Greek burgers: A perfect summer treat

One of the wonderful aspects of summer to me is the grill. I realize that in many relationships that the man is the king of the grill but in my house we have a queen of the grill. Mostly because the Hubby likes to be cooked FOR not because he can't. Anywhoozle, when I was on vacation last week and watching a cooking show while my little peanut napped, the chef was making a twist on the traditional burger. I tried it tonight and it's D-lish! Now true to form, the Hubby was skeptical but he took one bite and his eyes rolled back in his head as a long mmmmm! came through his lips. Now I made a few modifications (shocker) because she used a different sauce that used mint but I'm not a fan of mint in sauces so I used my dill sauce instead. Same concept.


Greek Burgers

Dill Sauce:
1 cucumber, peeled and grated (drain juice after grating)
8oz cream cheese, softened
juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbs dill, chopped (or use kitchen scissors to snip)

Mix all ingredients together to make sauce. Do not chill before serving or it will harden and not be easy to spread.

*whatever is left over, chill in fridge and it is great as a spread on crackers!

Burgers:
1lb ground lamb (or turkey if you are opposed to lamb)
garlic powder
salt
pepper
dried rosemary

Make meat into patties then coat both sides with salt, pepper, garlic and a sprinkle of rosemary. If you are going to serve on pita bread, make burgers in to oblong patties to fit pita better. Cook on grill at 350 until pink is gone.

To serve, place burgers on bun or pita bread, top with sauce, red onions, lettuce and tomatoes.

I served this with homefries (well, not homemade...the all natural ones you can get in your grocer's freezer section). I think originally it was served with a greek salad or you could even serve it with the greek pasta salad I shared not long ago from this post.

Try it and let me know what you think!  They are very easy and very yummy! Bon Apetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment