Thursday, June 23, 2011

Berry, Berry Delicious!

I don't know about you but I just love when all the fruits are on sale during the spring and summer. I try to stock up on them and freeze what I can in my little teeny tiny freezer. {sigh... I miss my big freezer that now resides at my brother's} As you know, not a big fan of vegetables but fruit I can chow down on!

So when I saw blackberries were on sale, I just had to buy them. I'm not a huge fan of all the seeds they have but they just say "summer" to me and I figured I could figure out something to do with them. Plus, honestly, when I'm pregnant, I love to bake. Wait...who am I kidding? I love to bake. period. end of sentence.

So I started checking out recipes for blackberry cobbler. Some are too fancy, some don't have crust or don't have enough of it. Sort've like Goldilocks but with berry recipes instead of beds. Then I found one just right. Of course the Hubby was skeptical. Why is it he's always so skeptical when I try something different but almost always devours it? So try it out - I made a few modifications based on mine that I made last night to make it a little better. The original recipe called for an egg white wash over the crust but I felt like it gave it a egg taste so I took it out. It also had it baking in a more shallow dish but I think it should be thicker.

Blackberry Cobbler

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 package of refrigerated pie crust (Pillsbury preferred)
2 12 oz packages of blackberries OR 3 1/2 cups of frozen berries
1 Tbs sugar for the top

Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl then gently stir in berries. Spoon/pour in an 8x8 baking dish or big pie dish. Cut the pie crust in to strips (you only need one of the 2 that come in the box of dough). Arrange over the berry mixture in a lattice shape OR you can cut them in the shapes of stars or hearts, whatever floats your boat. Sprinkle top with 1 Tbs sugar. Bake at 425 for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and blackberries are bubbly.

Goes great with vanilla icecream or whip cream (or cool whip if you don't want to make your own like me).  You can also double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan for a bigger crowd.

Bon Apetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment