Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...


There are days where you are just running on empty. I like to call those days “Just Keep Swimming Days” because I say that over and over to myself. You’ll get that reference if you have kids or are around kids on a regular basis. I seem to be having a few weeks of that lately and just when I think it might slow, it gets worse. But that’s just the season of life we’re in right now.  As a working mom, it doesn’t help when so many other things are pulling all your energy (especially mental energy) away from what matters most. So for the days when I feel like I just don't think I have it in me to read one more story; watch Cars, Cars 2 or Monsters Inc. one more time; plan one more meal; or fold one more load of clothes. For the days when I think everyone else has it together and I’m about to snap.

For those days. You know the ones.

1.   I shall not judge my house, my kid's birthday parties or my crafting skills by Pinterest's standards.

2.   I shall not measure what I've accomplished today by the loads of dirty clothes or unfolded laundry but by the assurance of deep love I've tickled into my kids.

3.   I shall not condemn myself when I choose take out for dinner instead of cooking, even if it is back to back.  

4.   I shall say yes to blanket forts and see past the chaos and the "to do list" to the memories we're building.

5.   I shall surprise my kids with trips to get ice cream when they’ve already had some today.

6.   I shall not compare myself to other mothers but find my identity in the God who trusted me with these kids in the first place.

7.   I shall remember that a messy house at peace is better than an immaculate house tied up in knots.

8.   I shall play music loudly and teach my kids the joy of wildly uncoordinated dance. Can anyone say “dance party”?

9.   I shall remind myself that perfect is simply a street sign at the intersection of Impossible and Frustration in Never Never Land.

10. I shall remember not to sweat the small stuff. It won’t matter in the long run.

11. I shall promise to love this body that bore these two children, stretched skin and all.

12. I shall give my other mommy friends the gift of judgment-free friendship.

13. I shall admit to my friends my less than finer moments, for which there are many.

14. I shall say sorry when sorry is necessary.

15. I pray God I shall never be too proud, angry or stubborn to ask for my children's forgiveness and admit when I’m wrong.

16. I shall try to remember that it’s not always about having perfect manners all the time, especially with boys in the house.

17. I shall love Jesus and pray my children will see Him in me through my actions and words.

18. I shall love their father and make sure they know I love and respect him.

19. I will make every effort not to be glued to my technology so my kids know I’m available.

20. I shall not resent that last call for kisses and cups of water but remember instead that when I blink they'll all be in college.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment