Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy July 4th!

Last year we came a little earlier (June) to the beach to visit my parents and thus missed the annual 4th of July parade. I don't really remember going to parades as a child, maybe because we lived out in the country and the only parades we saw were cows crossing the street, but I sure do love one. So this year I was adamant that we go down the week of July 4th so the boys could watch the Beaufort town parade.

There are old cars...


 
And lots of fun tractors (one of Cole's favorite things)...


And some random tall Mardi Gras people...


And of course pirates! No parade in Beaufort would be complete without pirates...


It's a small tourist town so you get lots of families out to watch which I think adds to the fun. Nothing too fancy, nothing too over the top, but just right. And the best part is a lot of the participants throw out candy for the kids to pick up. They even got a frozen icee this year! Surprisingly there were no close calls either. I could just picture one of the boys running out to grab a piece of candy right in front of a truck or tractor.
 
 
 
You can't even tell that Daniel and I are dripping in sweat from sitting in the hot sun for an hour. We still had our happy faces on...
 
 
And the parade even comes with some crazy ladies dressed in red wigs and costumes who dance. Yep that would be my mom on the left holding the sign and my dad is driving the red truck that held the speaker system for the music. 


I sometimes wonder if Daniel fears what kind of crazy gusto will come out in me the older I get?


In case you're wondering, my mom is part of a club called The Sweet Potato Queens. Well known in the town because of their costumes and red wigs at special events. I don't think anyone is under the age of 55 or 60! Love her spunk.

Each year the parade is different but each year it's just as cute and fun.

So happy 4th of July folks! And thanks to all our service men and women who serve or have served so that we can have the freedom and privilege of having a simple parade.



No comments:

Post a Comment