Friday, November 18, 2011

Vampire's beware! (pasta dish)

VAMPIRES BEWARE! You can probably guess by the picture that this is a recipe with lots of garlic but that's what makes it so yummy.

There's a few things that I've learned this time around (meaning this pregnancy/post-pregnancy). One of them being that I must have a creative outlet of some sort. For me that could be scrapbooking, painting children's furniture/artwork, cooking, baking, decorating and sometimes gardening. I used to garden more but with two babies, it's hard to watch them in the yard, sometimes the house is easier.

Anyhoozle, the point of that is to say that I've become addicted to the cooking channel and started experimenting with more dishes lately. Specifically I try the ones from The Chew. I was on top of all their shows but now I'm about 1.5 weeks behind...which means I'll be watching ideas for Thanksgiving dishes AFTER Thanksgiving. Ugh. If you want some new recipes, check out their site. Several I've tried have been great.

This dish by Mario Batali (with my own tweaks) is SUPER easy, quick to make and very tasty. It got two thumbs up from The Food Critic (aka the Hubby). It will take you about 30 minutes total (including prep) and serves 8. Now these amounts below are fairly accurate since I followed Mario Batali's recipe but honestly, I didn't measure when I made it. So if you like sun-dried tomatoes, add 2 jars. If you love greens, add more spinach. You get the picture!

Tip: if you don't drink wine, buy the little 4-pack bottles found at the grocery store. Usually recipes only call for the amount that's in one of the little bottles and the rest you can save for future recipes. They run from $6-12 and are easy to store.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Pasta

1/4 cup EVOO
1 small jar (or 2) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoe halves (drained & thinly sliced)
1 box whole grain thin spaghetti
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup (ish) of dry white wine
2 Tbs salt
4 cups baby spinach (pick off the stems)
1 tsp chili flakes (optional)

Instructions
Bring 8 quarts water to boil. While the water is heating do the following:
  1. heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
  2. add the garlic and cook until lightly golden brown.
  3. add the sun-dried tomatoe pieces and wine, bring to boil and remove from the heat
  4. take several large sips of the white wine - oh wait, that's my mom's recipe version
Cook the pasta in the boiling water (be sure to add the salt to the water) for 1 minute LESS than the package instructions call for.

Add 1/4 cup (or 1 ladle worth) of the pasta water to the olive oil mixture. Add the chili flakes (optional).

Drain the pasta then add it to the olive oil pan. Add the spinach and toss well. Toss over medium heat for about 30 seconds, until the pasta is nicely coated.

Serve hot - garnished with fresh parmesean cheese and/or breadcrumbs.

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment