Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Uh-Oh

Well I guess I jinxed myself in my last post about not posting the bad recipes. Of course that was in the middle of me baking my casseroles and thought that was the easier part. So here is my Thanksgiving cooking debacle...


I decided to bring sweet potato casserole and mashed potato casserole for the main meal. Made them last night and put them in the fridge thinking I was all smart cooking ahead. I took them out to warm to room temperature and then put them in the oven this afternoon. We were scheduled to be at the Bliss house around 1pm. Well at 1:10pm the sweet potato casserole wasn't done yet, probably because I put it in a deeper dish. I was using my grandmother's recipe so I hadn't made it before. Once it was baked and set in the middle I was supposed to put marshmellows on top and bake for 10 more minutes. Checkety. Check. Check. 


I went about my business while it was baking again, you know laundry, straightening, taking advantage of 10 minutes free. Oh and at this point I had sent Charlie and Daniel on to the Bliss house so they could visit. Cole and I were to follow when the casseroles were done. 


I open the oven and...hmmm it smells a little like smores...that's not good. I kid you not...the marshmellows apparently turned in to popcorn and had jumped off the casserole and were now dripping down in to the oven. I think maybe 3 were left and they were burning. Nice. 


I pulled it out and the word "mess" doesn't even do it justice. I scraped off the remaining marshmellows and it was like glue. I was scared to put on the lid because I knew as soon as it cooled, I would never get it off again! So I took the casserole with no top or foil or wrap and sticky marshmellow glue dripping down the edge and a little left on top. Stupendous. And to top it off, the mashed potato casserole was a little over cooked. 


Here's a shot of the oven and pot...





Notice the Easy-Off beside the dish. I had to use it not only in the oven (which I decided to let soak over night) but also on the dish itself. It was either that or throw it away. 


So I called my mom on my way to the Bliss' and told her what happened. We couldn't figure out what went wrong. Then she says "that's why I just make a pecan and brown sugar topping for mine." Now she tells me. So I blame her for this year's Thanksgiving debacle. Because I'm mature like that. 


If you need me tomorrow, I'll be cleaning my oven. 


What about you? Any funny stories to share from today?

No comments:

Post a Comment