Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Meet our newest member!

Allow me to introduce the newest member of our family - Cole Hamilton Schrall! He was born a few days early...September 15 to be exact and weighed in at 8lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches.


He came in to the world a bit early - I was scheduled to have my c-section on Monday, September 19 and had everything planned out. I still needed to clean my house, get my bag packed, make some food and wrap up a few things at work. Well he had a different idea. On Wednesday, September 14, I started having what I thought were Braxton-Hicks contractions around 3pm. They went on and off throughout the afternoon. I even went to see some furniture being delivered for a project I'm working on and my friend said "uh, you OK?" to which I replied "well, I am as long as he doesn't fall out!" because I was pretty sure at any minute he might and I think he was worried too since I wasn't really standing upright at that point.

The contractions got more consistent as the afternoon/evening went on. By 8pm or so they were about every 5 minutes but not super strong, just very uncomfortable. I finally called the doctor at 11pm and he said "just take some Ibuprofen and wait a few hours and they should go away" since I wasn't dialated yet. Sounded reasonable to me. Ummm...not so much. By 2:30am after being up the entire time (and Daniel had been up for 23hrs straight at this point) he looked at me and I said "OK, call it" and off we went to the hospital. Somewhere in there we (and by we I mean me sitting on the bed and Daniel sorting through my clothes and toiletries) managed to pack my hospital bag.  By 3:30am the doctor on-call had already called back and said to schedule my c-section for 5am that morning. I busily starting emailing and calling people (yep, at 3:30am) to wrap up all my loose ends. I was glad that the doctor on-call was my 2nd favorite in our practice. If I couldn't have my doctor, I would have chosen him.

And a cute side story - I call my mom at 3:30am and say something like "going to need you to hit the road tomorrow! Time for a baby!" to which I got this response "who is this?" Nice. "Uh mom, it's YOUR PREGNANT DAUGHTER!"     She claims says that they get calls at all hours of the night about the bed and breakfast still so she was expecting one of those calls when the phone rang.

So far, he's been a great baby...well minus the fact that he likes to eat EVERY TWO HOURS almost like clockwork. I'm hoping that may start to fade and we can move to 3hrs soon. He's also a little gassy at night much like his big brother was but not quite as bad.

Here are a few more pictures to mark the occasion...

my great friend Jaime had this stork waiting on us when we arrived

sleeping peacefully - he has a head full of blonde hair too

his first bath - which started out well...

but then we realized it wasn't quite as fun!
 
And in the photo below...note the worried look of daddy with his protective hand and the crazy look of his big brother. ATTACK!

being introduced to his brother at home...

We attempted (mighty loftily I might add) to get pictures of Big Brother and Little Brother for the birth announcements but that didn't go so well. Charlie really just wanted to poke and hit Cole in the head. Hmmm...sign of things to come? 


Cole: "save me!!!"

finally Charlie gave him a little hug. So sweet!

And not to leave him out - a picture of big brother being his normal goofy self (this is just after his 1st haircut)


So that's our newest little peanut. We now have a peanut and a walnut to chase after. I'm so blessed and thankful that my parents came for 2 weeks to help out! What will we do when our security blanket (AKA my mom) leaves in a few days!?

No comments:

Post a Comment