Monday, July 18, 2011

Sweet as a Georgia Peach

I love this time of year when you can get so many yummy fruits and veggies for great prices at the grocery stores and farmers market. It gives me an excuse to try new recipes and experiment.

As you recall, I made a yummy blackberry cobbler not long ago (see here) to which my hubby was quite skeptical...until he tasted it. I think I may have gotten 2 servings from the last one I made only because I threatened him and made him feel guilty for stealing from his pregnant wife. So when the new Southern Living came out and the topic was peaches, I couldn't wait to see the recipes. Here's a delicious peach pie recipe that I adapted from the July 2011 issue.


Peach Pie

2 ready made pie crusts (I prefer Pilsbury)
8 large fresh, firm, ripe peaches (be sure they aren't overly ripe and mushy or they will be too juicy for the pie)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 Tbsp
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp butter, cut in to pieces

Preheat oven to 425. Place one pie crust in pie pan. Peel peaches then cut in to large bite size pieces. Add brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and salt and mix until peaches are thoroughly covered. Add to pie crust immediately. If you make ahead, the peaches will become too juicy. Cover with butter pieces then top with other pie crust. Be sure you seal the edges really well by crimping/pinching tight. Sprinkle the top with the 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar. Cut 4-5 steam vents in the top of the pie. Freeze the pie for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, put a pan in the oven to heat for 10-15 minutes. Place the pie on the hot pan and bake in the lower rack for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and bake an additional 40 minutes. Then cover the pie with aluminum foil so it won't brown too much and bake another 25 minutes. Don't worry if the juices bubble through the top of the pie, this is normal. Cool for 1-2 hours.

It's important to put the pie on a pan when you bake it because the juices will overflow and trust me, cleaning up peach juice and baked sugar off your oven is not fun or easy! (and no, I didn't do skip this step thankfully)

I think this is best served with vanilla ice cream and slightly warm. Yum!

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment