Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wreath...take two...and how-to

Today was the realtor open house. Good feedback thankfully, just not exactly a "hot" location for the Columbia market right now. Boo hiss. So in preparation, last night I'm scurrying around trying to get everything cleaned up...again. How is it possible to get so dirty so fast!? Oh wait...that's right, I have a husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a baby. 

Anywhoozle, once most of that was done, or at least the part I could do the night before, I found myself looking around for any last minute updates. I have a pretty critical eye so I was fluffing pillows and making sure tabletops were organized correctly. Then it hit me. I never got around to making my front door wreath. The outside looked so pretty thanks to my hubby's hard work over the weekend but the door was naked. Eeegads!

Here's a picture of the naked door. Don't worry, this is a G rated blog.



And no, I haven't gotten around to removing the ivy poop yet. I keep hoping it's going to magically disappear but no luck yet.

So off I went to pull out my craft items. I had gotten some things at our local Hobby Lobby a while back but just never got around to it. And honestly, mostly because it was a theory on what I wanted to create more than anything so I had a mental block about starting the project.

You'll remember from this post that I tried a wreath from the internet and it was a big fat whopping failure. Been searching ever since. My ever so creative friend, Melissa, posted a wreath she created from burlap and fabric a while back. And another friend, Thersa, who is an artist, suggested I use moss for a wreath, which I love. So I decided to combine the two ideas. Keep in mind this was all done in my head, which can sometimes be a scary place, especially when it comes to design. And yes, instead of daydreaming, I typically design dream (make designs ideas up, rearrange furniture, etc...all in my little head)

Here are the materials you'll need:
  1. 2-3 bags of Moss, depending on the size of your wreath and type of moss - I used a new sheet moss. Easier to use in some ways since it was held together by a flexible sheet but not always easy when it comes to wrapping around a circular wreath form. So any type of moss will do as long as it's the color you like.
  2. Wreath form - I bought an inexpensive foam one to use
  3. Small amount of fabric - scrap fabric is cheap and easy if you can find the pattern you like
  4. Ribbon
  5. Hot glue and glue gun
  6. Large tacks or upholstery tacks

I chose a funky fabric in pink because our outside flowers and birdhouse are pink. Girly but hey, when Daniel starts making wreaths then he can pick the fabric.

First I covered the entire wreath form in the moss. Don't be intimidated by it. Just hot glue chunks of the moss one section at a time. And don't forget to do both sides if you have a glass front door. You don't want to see foam from the inside! Perfection isn't as important but it does need to look "clean."


Next I cut out circles from the fabric. I used a wine glass top and drew on the back of the fabric then cut them out. Now in my head I was supposed to cut out enough to cover a good portion of the wreath. In reality, after getting more tired by the minute and realizing how much of a mess I was making that I would now have to clean up, I cut out like 8-10. Kudos to you Melissa for cutting out as many as you did for your wreath!

Once those were cut out, I simply tacked them on to the wreath in a bunch. I used extra large silver tacks I found in the craft section of Hobby Lobby...or was it the sewing section...I lose track in that store so easily since I tend to wander. Seriously, all you have to do is push the tacks in to the center of the fabric and it naturally bunches to make it look like a flower. And to finish it off, I used 3 types of ribbon to make a bow. I used 3 types so it would add texture and volume.


Part way through the process, when I realized I totally didn't have the energy to cut out all those circles, I stopped taking pictures. That's when I decided to use 3 types of ribbon to make it fuller. I wasn't so sure how it was going to turn out but when I woke up this morning, I realized I liked it alot more than I thought I would.


And here's a picture of it from the outside...


I may go back and add more flowers. I haven't decided yet. Overall it added just enough warmth to the door to make it feel finished and it matches with the pink flowers and birdhouse.

Try it! It's not complicated and can easily be coordinated with the outside of your house or any season. You can add multi-fabrics or just one. The sky's the limit with this design!

Send me pictures if you make one or if you have a variation of your own handmade wreath. I love getting new ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment