Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Visiting the Villes

This post is about 2 weeks late but I like to keep you guessing. You know like posting about New Year's Eve before posting about our Christmas. I like to live on the edge. This is more for posterity than anything else so feel free to skim or just look at the pictures.

Each year, regardless of my age, I've always traveled to the "Villes" for Christmas. Never heard of the Villes? Specifically Waynesville and Reidsville in North Carolina. I've never spent a Christmas anywhere else in all of my 30-something years. So of course, we continue to do the same with my kids. I know that this will eventually end and we will establish a new tradition but until then, we keep it up because it's important to me and I have an awesome husband.

The first leg of our trip was to visit my dad's side of the family. They rented a cute little two-bedroom condo in Maggie Valley (near Waynesville) for the 6 of us to stay in, which was nice. It was especially fun for the boys because there was a river just behind it where they could throw "BIG GIANT ROCKS" (imagine that being said with huge inflection, as Cole often does when something is big)


It was very warm on Friday when we arrived and again on Saturday so they got plenty of rock throwing fun in a short amount of time.


That Saturday night we spent with the family at my Aunt Janie and Uncle Randy's house. I would post pics...but I apparently forgot to bring my camera. Smart. Real Smart. Hoping Aunt Janie will email them to me (hint, hint).

Sunday, while Daniel headed back to Columbia for the night, we headed to Reidsville. Daniel had to travel home to pick up his mom who also travels with us to Reidsville so she can spend Christmas with us. She's now a full part of the Rothrock clan, especially since she discovered moonshine. While there, we had a chance to go out to my Uncle Si and Aunt Carol's house. They bought an old girl scout camp (that my mom actually attended as a child) and have a great pond. They also have a mule named Leroy.



I had hopes that the boys would sit on him (Aunt Carol even put the saddle on) but they refused. They petted him, gave him some apples and carrots then promptly asked if they could go throw rocks in the pond now. Equestrians in the making they are not.

Another huge hit in Reidsville was my cousin Graham. He and his new wife are living in my grandmother's house right now. My kids attached themselves. No really. They stalked him. He would chase them around the house, wrestle with them and build fun pillow towers for them to jump on.


I think what was so meaningful for me was to see the kids play with family. I grew up playing with all my cousins, aunts and uncles and so desperately want that for my children as well. Thanks Graham and Courtney for allowing all of us to descend on your home!


I must also comment/document on the Christmas tree. When Daniel first came to Christmas with me, right after we got married, he first walked in and said "what is that tree? Is it cut off the top of a pine tree!?" and was absolutely incredulous. You see, we have never had a "real" Christmas tree...the kind you get from a Christmas tree farm...that I can really remember. Every year one of my uncles goes out to who-knows-where and cuts down a little pine tree of some sort. My mother-in-law and Daniel find that hysterical.


Some years it's bigger and wider than others. Most years it doesn't fit and then the top gets cut off. It's just another way our family is quirky and uniquely "The Rothrocks". (the decorations are old ones from my grandmother)

Finally it was Christmas Eve dinner. This is when we do a huge dinner, always with roast beef, and get to celebrate. This year we had my grandmother's best friend, Judy, join us again. I remember seeing her every time we visited and I just love her to pieces. She reminds me so much of Gimmer (my grandmother).


We also had my great-uncle Ed come along with one of his daughters, Jane. Uncle Ed is fascinating to talk to and hear about the "old days" and his war days. Reminders of a by-gone era that I still love to learn about.


I believe we had 24 for Christmas Eve dinner this year. We used to have a long table and use silver goblets. Despite things being slowly moved out of the house, we still find a way to get us all around one table, albeit a little less formal. I think I get a lot of my love of hosting and entertaining from my grandmother (and mom for that matter). I would LOVE to host a formal dinner sometime. You know, like a Downton Abbey type dinner. But I digress...



On Christmas Eve we also have a tradition that the youngest (who can read) reads scripture from the bible speaking of Jesus' birth. Cousin Graham has been reading like forever. Charlie is next in line but I think it may be a few more years before he's up for it. Just like his dad (seen in the bottom corner of the picture below), Graham has been reading it for over 20 years.


Then we put birthday candles on a coconut cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus. I always love these traditions. It's what makes family, well family, and I find them extremely important. I'd show you a picture of the cake but I was too busy trying to chase the two rugrats around that I forgot to take one.

Finally it was time to hang stockings. The boys didn't really understand why but did it anyway. Rest assured, next year they will totally remember after seeing all that Santa brought.



If I could, I'd jump into the above picture and squeeze Cole again. I could eat him up in that picture. Charlie was too busy to sit still for a good shot. Maybe next year.

Christmas morning came and Charlie was beside himself. The rule is we all go in to see if Santa came together. And by all I mean all 19 of us. That's hard for a little toddler to wait!


But they did it! They got to go first to see if Santa came and I wish I had been able to capture the sheer delight Charlie had (Cole was still figuring it out). When he saw his pile of presents, he stopped, opened his mouth in a huge grin and then raised his hands in the air out of joy. Cole watched Charlie to make sure it was OK and then dove in.



It was game on. Toys were flying left and right and E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G had to be opened right then.



The fun thing is that we all get to sit and open our presents from Santa together. After all, Santa still visits each and every one of us, no matter how old you are. The boys really enjoyed playing with so many people (Their Great Uncle Si is putting together their race track to play with them below)


Then it was off to breakfast, another tradition. Egg/sausage/cheese casserole, applesauce and Moravian sugar cake. Oh how I dream of that breakfast often. I pretty much eat an entire sugar cake by myself. And I *might* steal the sugary-est pieces and hoard them. Hey Santa's already come. I don't have to be nice anymore.

Just kidding Mom.

Not really.

The joy of Christmas was definitely seen in our little family and our extended family. It's always so fun to get together with a loving family and time honored traditions to celebrate our Savior's birth. It's so important to me and I can't wait for my boys to experience the same as they grow up.


Do you have any time honored traditions you hope to pass along to your children? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment