Sunday, January 12, 2014

Homemade Creamy Marinara Sauce

*I just realized a very important ingredient so I've added it (bay leaves) So sorry!

Last year I discovered what to me was a little taste of heaven called Pasta Fresca's Creamy Marinara sauce. All I wanted to eat was their spaghetti with the sauce. I was obsessed. But at $10 a pop, it's sort've hard to do on a regular basis. So I set out to mimic the ever-so-heavenly sauce. I've been making it for over a year and every time I serve it, my family raves. So over Christmas we had 18 to feed one night so I volunteered to make spaghetti. People loved it. And not just because they are family. My Uncle Si, who says he doesn't like spaghetti (that's weird, Uncle Si) raved about it. So this post is for you Aunt Carol so you can make it for him!

Keep in mind that some of my measurements are guesstimates because I tend to cook by taste. Don't be scared to add extra seasoning like parsley or more basil, thyme, garlic or oregano if you like a huge kick of flavor. I just tend to pour until it looks and tastes good.

Creamy Marinara Sauce
Prep/Cook time: 1-2 hrs (mostly cooking time)

1 large can crushed tomatoes (only use crushed)
1 sm can tomato paste plus 2 cans of water
1 regular can of tomato sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 pound Italian sausage (spicy or regular, your choice), browned and chopped
1 Tbs oregano
1 Tbs basil
1 Tbs thyme
2-3 bay leaves
2-3 Tbs garlic powder
1/4 to 1/3 cup of sugar
whipping cream or half & half (approx. 1 cup)
1/2 can of parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet or pot over med-high heat, brown the sausage and onion.  Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and sugar. Stir until well mixed then turn down to low heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 1-1.5 hours. Do a taste test to make sure it tastes good. If it's bitter, add a little more sugar. Remove the bay leaves and 30 minutes prior to serving, add the parmesan cheese and enough cream to change the color to a light red. If the sauce is too thick, you can add some water from the pasta to make it thinner.

We serve this over thin spaghetti noodles but you can use any of your favorite noodles. This recipe also works in lasagna if you skip the parmesan and cream at the end. Another option is to use hamburger instead of sausage or skip the meat altogether. I just find that sausage has a better flavor overall.

Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment