Friday, January 31, 2014

I heart you.

I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I've been dying to write this post for weeks. I refrained. I didn't want you to judge me because I've had my Valentine's decorations out for ummm...let's say 3 weeks already. 

WHAT!? 


I can't help it. It's a sickness. Besides, I'll use any excuse to decorate. 

So I waited until it was February (almost) to post some ideas to get you in the mood for love. Don't worry though, this is a PG blog. This is good clean love, not the other kind behind closed doors. Wait...that didn't sound right either. 

I don't go all out for Valentine's Day but I do like to put a little sparkle and subtle reminder that it's here. I didn't really do this before kids but I want my kids to feel special during each and every holiday and I think it makes the home extra cozy. Let's start with the wreath on the front doors. Literally I (and by I, I mean me and Anna M since she does wreaths better than I do) just refurbished my Christmas wreath by adding some pink deco mesh and a few sparkly hearts from the Dollar Store. 


You will also notice that there are some stickers on the bottom. Those are a little pick up from Hobby Lobby that let the kids get in on the action. They're just window stickers that they loved putting on to "help".


So when you walk in the front door you can certainly tell there is love in this house! And it makes me smile. 

Side note: see the pug? She's wondering what the heck I'm doing in my pj's taking pictures of our door. 


In our living room I found a cute burlap garland at Hobby Lobby for $5 (when it was on sale). It's just draped up on the mantel with some fresh flowers to add a little charm. I like that it doesn't overpower and scream IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY! yet still blends with my decor. 


And I used a few of the extra $1 hearts in a plant by the front door and a plant on the kid's art table in the living room (seen here). 



Anna M found these cute hearts for $1 at the Dollar Store so we decided they would look cute on the back of our chairs in our respective kitchens/dining room. I have since taken them off the nail I used to hang them and tied them with a little burlap ribbon to the back. Somehow little hands found them fun to pull off and play with when they were hung with no ribbon...


Daniel thinks they are tacky. I don't care. I like them and I think they are whimsical without being too much. 


On the dining room table I have a felt heart runner, a purchase from Target last year, over top of a mirror for added sparkle. I also put some candles and a plant that has pink/red stalks to it (I can't remember the name). Disregard the place mats and table setting...we were having friends over for dinner that night. 



In the kitchen I kept it simple....some candy hearts with a candle in the center and a few red chocolates in a candy dish. 



So you see, I didn't go crazy like my husband insinuated. I just dressed up the house a little to remind us that V-day is here soon. If said husband forgets. Trouble. Big, big trouble. He can't say there were no reminders staring him in the face. 

There's all kinds of cute things around on sale right now since the stores are already preparing to put out Easter. Go grab you some fun hearts and get in the spirit! Even if you think it's a silly holiday. Maybe it will make you smile and at the very least, it will make your family feel special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment