Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I did it!

I dedicate this blog post to Melissa Moreno...who pushed me for at least a few months via phone (she's in CT) to do this before it got hot and work got busy.

Ever have those projects that you don't want to tackle? I'm not talking about a little "I don't feel like it" I'm talking about the full on dread you feel whenever it crosses your mind. That's how I felt about tackling our attic.

In the fall we had a yard sale and we pulled all the old stuff out of the attic but tossed the "keep" stuff all around up there. I mean it was so bad you could barely pull the stairs down without something falling on your head. Deep down I knew there was plenty of storage space but it was just covered up by unorganized stuff. For a small house like ours, we need all the storage space we can get.

So for days...weeks...months I thought about cleaning it out. I'm pretty sure this started around January 1. Every week I found another excuse not to go up there. Finally, even Melissa gave up trying to get me to do it. (we're secret, long lost sisters who love to organize and label things, not to mention we're both recruiters)

But last week I tackled my fear.



This is what I started with. As you can see it's all a jumbled mess.



 
 
And this is me half way through...It's hard to appreciate it based on this picture but I am literally dripping sweat. My face is not normally that rosy and my hair is not normally that plastered to my head. 

 
 
But in the end it was very worth it. Now we have a section for housewares/clothing/misc...

 

A spot for holiday decorations that are non-Christmas (which is stored under the house)...

 
There is also a section for all the baby stuff (clothes, bassinet, etc.) but apparently I forgot to capture it in a photo.  We're still not convinced we're done adding to our family so we don't want to let it go too quickly.
 
I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In grand total it took me an hour. And all the stuff I thought I would sell on ebay or craigslist...donated. Who was I kidding? I didn't have time to put that much effort in to getting a few bucks for it so I took it to Goodwill instead.
 
Anyone else have those projects they just work up in their mind are going to be dreadful but end up not being that bad? What's on your dreaded to-do list? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment