Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Just like old times"

I'm sad this post is so late but due to unforeseen work issues, it is what it is.  I didn't want it to be skipped because it was so much fun. Three weeks ago (can you believe it's been that long girls?) I was able to sneak away and drive to Raleigh for a night. If you don't know, I'm originally from Zebulon (a suburb of Raleigh) but I also lived in Raleigh for 12 years and its been over a year since I've been back. Technically it was under the premise of visiting my corporate office for the afternoon so they could indeed see that I do exist as a human and not a voice over the phone. While I was already there, I decided to stay the night. And while I was spending the night, I might as well go shopping the next day. After all, my yard sale cash was burning a hole in my pocket!

So off I went for the 3 hour drive. Can I just say I'm so glad I don't have to be in an office every day by a certain time? I'd be late every day. I arrived around noon and worked in our office until 5pm and then was off to Jaime's house. Jaime and I met at a wedding for a mutual friend about 9 or 10 years ago. I'll spare the details but she likes to say she felt sorry for me (since I went through a divorce shortly after) and used our dogs as an excuse to hang out. Really it's because I was so cool and she wanted to hang out with a cool kid.

Anyhoozle, when I arrived she immediately put me to work. Not joking. I even have a scar on my toe to prove it from trying to move a piano which rolled over my toe. While we caught up, I rearranged her dining room (and maybe worked on a few other areas). Then it was time for dinner! This was what I was excited about. A chance to have dinner "with the girls".

The attendees were Jaime, Megan (also met her at the same wedding - wow, that was a good wedding!) and Jaime's sister, Mandy. When we went to pick up Megan and after I got the  new house tour, she volunteered to drive in her convertible since it was such a nice night. And the night just got better...

 
As we were getting in the car, I said "aw, just like old times!" because these were two of the girls I hung out with most when I was working and living in Raleigh.

Then it was off to pick up Mandy. Once again, got the house tour and while I was there spent 5 minutes sharing how I'd rearrange her living room (solicited! I'm not some wacko that just barges in and tells you what's wrong with your house).

We headed to North Hills to a restaurant called Mura, a yummy Japanese sushi bar. I've been there once before and loved it. We all had a chance to catch up - me about life in South Carolina, Jaime about the kids, Megan about the new house and work, Mandy about joining eharmony (OK that may have taken us on a major tangent). At one point our waiter may have become embarrassed (ahem, Megan) and throughout dinner if someone said "just like old times" we all had to take a sip (of whatever we had).

 
After two cocktails and a belly full of edamame and sushi, we headed back to Megan's where we talked for hours (minus Mandy who went home because she had a long run the next morning with her running group). We decided that Mandy looked like Thelma from the movie Thelma & Louise in the back of the convertible...


I laughed the hardest when Megan couldn't stop hiccuping (apparently she hiccups if she eats too much) and when Megan told Jaime to cut her story short (Jaime is notoriously long winded).

There's just something to be said for having a night out with some of your best girlfriends that have known you intimately through your worst and best times. Miss you girls!


 And for those of you wondering about the shopping the next day, yes, I blew all of my money along with a little more. My favorite stop - DSW (discount shoe warehouse). Can. Not. Wait. until they come to Columbia! I also got to stop by and say Hi to my friend, Blythe and see her gorgeous remodel. For all of those I missed in Raleigh - and there were many - I'll be back soon!

XXOO


No comments:

Post a Comment