Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Mission: Organization (part deux)

Remember from this post that I decided it was high time to re-organize our closets, drawers and baskets? Living in a small house with this many dependent life forms, you really have to stay on top of the clutter or it will take over.

I spent the better part of the Sunday after vacation and all of July 4th working on it. Keep in mind I had already tackled the boy's room. Here are a few before shots.

Under the bathroom sink...can you find anything? Yeah, me either.
 
Bathroom shelves/baskets...and these are open so they just looked sloppy.

Linen closet...at some point we just starting piling.

Office/Guest closet...and again we piled. With the exception of the top of the closet that stayed neat.

I started with the two worst offenders and the biggest challenges - the linen closet and the office/guest closet. I just started looking for a dresser to add to the boy's room in place of a small table they had. I knew I would need the extra storage for clothes once winter hit. It occurred to me that the dresser in the closet, which was one I had growing up, would probably fit between the cribs. Sure enough it worked. Score.

While that cleared out the closet it also left me with a lot less shelves/storage in that closet. I pulled out everything in both big closets and slowly started putting it back. At one point Daniel said he would just rather throw it all away because it was so intimidating. But as he says I "worked my magic". Alot of things just needed to be thrown out or be put in a yard sale pile.

I also cleaned out from under the bathroom cabinet, bathroom baskets/shelves, armoire in living room, two side tables and my bedside table drawers. Here are some lovely after shots...

Under the bathroom sink.


I used my trusty label maker to label all the containers for our medicines.


The linen closet which is now also a storage place for some of our files.


The office/guest closet. It doesn't look as neat but that's because some gifts are stacked on top of a few things along with some project bags that I'm working on currently.


In that same closet I used the extra clothing rod to hang our extra bags. It gets them off the floor and easily accessible.


Look at a before and after...



So much better, right? It seems so much more peaceful in our home when things are organized. Or maybe that's just my weirdness. Either way, it made me much happier! We have extra drawers available in a few spots and a huge pile of yard sale items. Well all this prompted us to take another leap (again). More on that later. Thanks for all the suggestions in organizing. I definitely find that storage containers and baskets are my best friends in this type of situation.

Any creative organizing going on in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment