Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Something new with chicken!

My friend, Jaime, gave me this recipe a few years ago and I always forget about it. The other night, in a quest to find something different to do to chicken, I dug in my recipe box and found it. The title doesn't really do it justice because it doesn't have bourbon in it nor does it have the bourbon taste. But it's very delicious and not that difficult to make. One caveat - it seems like there are alot of ingredients (which sort've annoys me in recipes) but they aren't all that uncommon so you should be ok. It's delicious served over mashed potatoes!



Bourbon Chicken

2 lbs boneless chicken cut in bite size pieces
2 Tbs olive oil (-ish, whatever you need to saute with)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper (if you don't like spicy, just use 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 TBS ketchup
1 TBS cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Directions
In a large skillet heat the olive oil then saute the chicken until just barely done. Remove chicken. Mix rest of ingredients in pan, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken back in and bring to hard boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes. You may want to do a little less depending on how big your chicken bites are (so they aren't over done).

I serve over mashed potatoes since the chicken has a nice gravy in the end.

Bon Apetit!

1 comment:

  1. Yum...I need to make that soon too. We love ours over rice. Enjoy everyone!

    ReplyDelete