Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Annual Review

Is it time for your annual review at work? I used to dread those. I typically always knew what to expect but it was still nerve-racking when you had to actually sit down and discuss your performance. Interestingly enough, I haven't had one in over 2 years. I left my last position before they did them for their contract staff and with my current company, they don't really do the formal HR stuff.

Anyway, I thought I would take a look at my 2011 goals and see how I did. Sort've a personal assessment.

2011 Goals

1. To have our family debt free (other than the mortgage). We've met with a financial advisor and it's easily doable as long as we stay on target.

    Ummm...Epic. Failure. But I wasn't planning on having a 2nd baby when I wrote this either. Or needing a new cell phone, furnace, roof, HVAC system, a tree cut down, repairs from a lightening strike, fixing our washer and dryer or building a shed. So we didn't make much progress on the debt free stage. I may keep alter this for 2012.


2. This one is two parts a) To have a consistent quiet time b) read my bible. And by consistent I don't mean never or once in a blue moon. I mean actually sitting still and dedicating time each day for Him. Our Pastor has been stepping all over my toes lately in his messages and it is abundantly clear I'm just mediocre when it comes to my Christian walk.

     Hm. Another epic failure. Perhaps I see a trend...

3. To be more thoughtful. And not just in the giving gifts or doing things for others but by remembering birthdays, important events, sending little cards and thank you's. So many people have done that for me and it always means so much. I don't want to be so consumed in my own life that I forget to support others.

     Now this is hard to judge since it's others who would need to rate me on it. I'd like to think I've been better about remembering things and using my calendars for "reminders" alot more.

4. To lose the baby weight, preferably by June but I'll take the end of the year if it takes that (PLEASE don't let it take that long!)

     Well that obviously didn't happen since I had ANOTHER baby! Now I have 20lbs to lose. 10 per kid as I like to say. Will DEFINITELY add this to the 2012 list.

5. To market Pepper Pots Designs and gain additional painting business. Ideally, I'd like to have a consistent $50/month in profit to start. Know anyone who would be interested in a cute gift?

     Scratched this one off about the time I found out I was pregnant. I just don't have as much time as I'd like. I still paint for people if they ask and love doing it. So for now I'll go by word of mouth.

6. Cook more with vegetable purees. I've started and featured a few of those on this blog but I want to figure out how to incorporate them into more of my own recipes.

     Well I didn't necessarily cook with more purees but I did continue to cook more. Does that count? hmmm. Probably not. (sigh)

OK, so not horrible but not great either. Let's try the 2012 list...

2012 Goals
  1. Participate in at least 5 bible studies. (set to start Precept this Thursday on Romans)
  2. Continue working on our family's financial health. (start our IRA's, keep contributing to the kid's college funds, NO credit card debt, make extra payments to the truck).
  3. Have our dining set refinished. (after we buy new dining chairs).
  4. Buy a swing set for the boys. (you may think this one is silly but they are expensive! So we need to save for it and pay cash so not to go against goal #2.)
  5. Paint our house. (ugh, the hideous green. Hurts my eyes!)
  6. Redecorate our master bedroom. Still not quite right.
  7. Don't have a baby in 2012. (considering I'm not currently pregnant, we might be OK. Famous last words, right?! Figured if we make it till the end of March, we're good. Goal says 2012, not 2013 afterall. Honey, don't freak when you read this, I'm not making any suggestions!)
  8. Blog at least once a week. (would prefer more but 2 babies...well you know)
  9. Lose the baby weight. (20lbs)
  10. Hit the gym at least 2-3x per week. (to go with goal #9...and because I'm anal and needed another one to make an even 10 goals. Yep, I'm that OCD sometimes.)
Well I think that about covers it. Not lofty goals, but doable. I'm trying to avoid the "epic failure" evaluation this time next year.

So what about you? Have any goals you've written down for 2012? Do you have anyone that helps you stay accountable with them?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment