Thursday, January 19, 2012

A picture says a thousand words...and so does it's placement

You may remember that I talked about wall art in this post. I listed 8 simple rules for choosing your art work and in the post I showed some examples of how to hang pictures. But I find that this is a very common question when I'm asked to help someone decorate their house. In fact, I just helped three friends in a matter of 2 weeks put together collages, hang pictures or figure out what to do on their walls. So I thought I might share a few ideas in case you are also trying to figure it out!

So let me start with a large wall, family portraits and a few added elements to fill in some holes and add visual intrest...



Note that not all the frames match each other. They "go" but don't match...much like you should do in fashion. Never match your earrings and necklaces. As Stacy London says "they should go but not match". But I need to get off my soap box digress.

One of the things I did with the collage, so that it wouldn't look too busy, was to add frames that weren't "people pictures" but instead we used wall paper samples. It's a great and easy way to make instant art.




The cool thing is that often times you can get sample books from local wallpaper carriers. (But they might be a little snooty in giving them up since you aren't actually buying anything from them, as a dear friend learned the hard way). You can also use fun wrapping paper or fabric in frames. Or if you find a neat poster or post-card, add it in a frame!

In another home, my friend had 8 frames the same size. You can't tell in the picture but they are actually frames she painted red for a special accent. Most people's first reaction is to hang them in a line...which they did. But by switching up the linear look it added more visual interest to the space. So try it a few different ways to see which looks better in your space.



Here are a few more examples of fun picture placements to hopefully inspire...look how cool they used an old mirror frame to frame other pictures in the first one (and could you just die for the cool table with the pop of red underneath!?)

courtesy of The Sassy Pepper (http://thesassypepper.blogspot.com/)




So I hope these pictures are inspiring and give you a few ideas of how you might be able to hang your own pictures. Just remember, lay them out on the ground first so that you can be sure you like the layout! It will save you a lot of spackling and patching later.

Call or email me if you need help with your picture placements!

No comments:

Post a Comment