Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I'm baaacckkk! (with a delicious new recipe too!)

I feel like it's been ages since I last wrote a post...oh wait...it has been. Almost a year! Well 9 months really. 

I had plans to continue all last year. Plenty of ideas. Then my camera basically died. It was only a point and click camera and doing OK but it just didn't take great pictures anymore. Sort've boring to write a blog when you have no pictures. I'm interesting but not that interesting. 

But guess what!? 

I GOT A CAMERA FOR CHRISTMAS! 

(cue applause and other rump shaking, fist bumping, high fiving happy dances!)

I'm now the proud owner of a Nikon D5500 with all the fixings. 


Husband knocked it out of the park! I'm told he now has a "get out of jail free" card for at least a quarter. I'll give him that. I still have no idea how to use all the attachments and lenses and special functions but I'll get there. 

So anywhoozle, I figured I'd ease back in to this by sharing a delicious recipe, perfect for these upcoming-let's-hope winter months. (I personally am sick of a spring winter). I've adapted this recipe from one my mom found on Facebook and tweaked a few things so that it's super easy and serves 6. 


Cottage Pie

Ingredients: 

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large or 2 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
6 Tbs butter
2/3 cup beef broth (I prefer unsalted)
3 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped 
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
3 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbs garlic paste or 2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 packages of garlic instant mashed potatoes

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Melt butter in large skillet then saute the onions and carrots until tender (about 10-12 min)
  3. Add the ground beef and saute until well browned, making sure to break up the beef as you saute.
  4. Add Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, thyme, rosemary, garlic and cornstarch along with a little salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cook uncovered for 5-10 min over low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure it's well blended.
  6. Meanwhile, cook instant potatoes per package instructions (usually it's boil water and add potatoes and then let sit)
  7. In a 9x13 baking dish, place beef mixture on bottom then top with mashed potatoes. Place shredded cheese on top of potatoes. 
  8. Bake until bubbling on sides (about 30 min). If you like a crusty top, broil for the last few minutes. 

This can also be served in a round casserole dish as it sets up nicely and can be served like a pie. I paired it with a salad and crusty garlic bread. You could also serve these in ramekins and serve as individual servings for a different twist. 

It's delicious as a leftover - I just ate some while I wrote this! 

Bon Appetit! 


I'll be back soon with pictures from Christmas. The decoration portion will be over due but hey, better late than never! 

No comments:

Post a Comment