Friday, December 16, 2011

Tips from a semi-pro

I had to add the "semi" in there because let's face it, I'm not a pro yet. Wondering what I'm talking about? Mommy-hood! I would like to think that I have a bit of experience in recent months now having a 3 month old and an almost 14 month old.

See that's me with my Peanut and Chunky Monkey


I've tried and tested lots of gadgets, gimicks and otherwise interesting baby items in the last two years. Here is what I've learned...starting with designing the nursery.

The Nursery
  1. Don't buy an expensive rug. We've gone through 3 now. The first the dog threw up on. Charlie threw up on the second one (there was no getting out processed milk and cheese)...and now we have a cheaper rug. Also don't go with high shag/pilings. Too hard to clean and get out spills. And trust me, there will be some! So go inexpensive for a while.
  2. Don't hand make a bumper because it's just for decoration and you'll not use it in 2yrs anyway. I think those of us with designer hats love to create with fabric but for the time and cost for as little as you'll use it, buy one. There are plenty out there that will fit in your scheme.
  3. Look for cute sheets and ONLY register for those. I found most of mine online. I made the mistake of buying/registering for sheets that were cute but didn't match. Guess what. The designer in me won't put them on the bed because it irks me that they don't match!
  4. Create a spot for play and reading as you're creating the space because you'll use it sooner than you think.  I didn't take this in to consideration and wish I had gotten a toy chest in the beginning.
  5. Baskets, baskets, baskets! Such a great thing for storage and kids can get things out of them easily.
  6. If you can help it, don't put the crib near the window. They will not only pull on blinds and curtains but the sun will wake them up or make it hard for them to go to bed.
  7. When/if you make curtains, line them well so that you can close them and block out light. Trust me. You'll want this if you have one that rises with the chickens!!!
  8. Invest in a cute sound/light machine for the crib. Works like a charm to distract when you need them to settle down for the night.
  9. Use a dresser or other similar item instead of a changing table. The changing table is practical but in the end, you can't really re-use it when they get older.
  10. If you choose to do a "theme" just remember that you might be changing it sooner rather than later. They grow fast! So keep that in mind when selecting your curtains and other non-crib fabrics and accessories. Will it be easy to find bedding to match them when you move to a toddler or "big boy/girl bed"?

Now on to what seemed was my biggest and most expensive learning curve...
The Diaper Bag
When I started looking for a diaper bag I was determined to find one for me, not to match the baby. So first decide if you care if it's a true diaper bag or if you want something you can use as a diaper bag. Truth be told, you don't need tons and tons of room but you do need something like a large purse. Currently, what works for me - two large purses that have good pockets I found at TJ Maxx. I interchange between the two based on my mood and love them. Both can fit on my shoulder since I now usually have a baby on each hip. And I disagree that you need one that closes at the top. I never close mine because you don't always have two hands free to open it up! Plus sometimes you need to grab something fast. Here's what you'll ultimately carry around:
  1. 2-3 diapers (register for a "diapees and wipees" carrying case and they fit a just enough) 
  2. small thing of wipes (Target has them in the travel section so I use those small packets)
  3. bags (like the doggie poop bags) for putting dirty diapers in and it fits in the diapees and wipees case
  4. bottle and formula or breast milk (best if you have a pocket for this but not required).
  5. hand sanitizer or something similar (wet ones travel size are good to have on hand). I have this in my make-up case anyway.
  6. pacifier (or I just carry it in the carrier most of the time). Check these out - my boys LOVE THEM and you never lose them: wubbanub  
  7. changing pad (I have one that rolls out that is terry cloth but I rarely use it! But it's basically a terry cloth that has string around it to keep it in place and is handy to have "just in case")
  8. MAYBE a toy but most of the time I just keep some in a basket in my car and grab one if I need it (i.e. doctor's office)
  9. for the first 2 months - a onsie in case they blow it out (or like me, just keep one in your car because at that point you're going to want to go home anyway!)
And when they get a little older:
  1. baby food if needed but usually only a jar so it doesn't take up a lot of space
  2. a snack (I use a cheerio container that I can just drop in my purse if I know I might need a snack)
  3. plastic cover for tables if you eat out

So you see, most of what I listed is easily carried in a large purse. It seems like a lot but it's not really. So before you automatically assume you need a diaper bag, think about if you would rather find a cool purse that could work as a diaper bag. I bought 2 diaper bags that are Petunia Pickle Bottom and I rarely use them. I can fit more in my large purse and it's easier to access than the diaper bags! Not that there is anything wrong with these and I still carry one in the spring, but I didn't truly need a "diaper bag" in the end.
 
Just think about how you use your purse, what you want to carry in it (yours and baby stuff or just baby? have two bags or just one?) and then shop around. Think simple - which is why I just carry around one bag. And what do I do for church and other places that I need to leave a bag for the boys? I bought them each a pre-school backpack from Pottery Barn. Fits just enough for each one.

So I hope those tips help if you are expecting or know someone who is expecting. Of course I've learned so much more but these are two topics I made the most mistakes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment